Our Church History
According to records, Garner United Methodist Church, first called “Beulah Church,” was in existence as early as 1867. The Reverend Alex R. Raven was minister and there were sixty-nine members on the roll. By 1872, Beulah Church was listed as one of eight churches on the Raleigh Circuit. Tradition tells us that services were held in a brush arbor in summer at a site on the present Vandora Springs Road and probably at other times in the Beulah School located near by.
About 1890, Methodists of the area began holding services in the old “Academy” building in Garner. In May of that year, a deed was recorded in the Wake County Courthouse showing that a parcel of land belonging to William H. Snelling was being deeded to Joseph T. Broughton (father of Mrs. Helen Bryan) and “other trustees of Beulah Church.” This land was to be the site on Main Street of the first church building in Garner. A contract for its construction was given to Mr. Ashley Johnson of Clayton. By 1892, the church was completed and the name changed to “Garner Episcopal Church South.” It was placed on the Cary Circuit along with four or five other churches, the minister being the Reverend Peter L. Herman.
In 1913, the Garner Circuit was formed with Ebenezer, Holland and Mt. Zion Churches. The first Garner parsonage was built in 1916 during the ministry of the Reverend E. B. Craven.
As the town of Garner began to grow, church membership increased, and in November, 1950, the Garner Circuit was divided and the Garner-Ebenezer Charge organized with the Reverend R. E. Lee Moser as pastor. The first parsonage was sold and a new one started on Penny Street on land donated by Wilbur Beasley and W. R. Rand.
By 1953, the membership had grown to 434 and Garner was approved by the North Carolina Conference as a “Station.” The need for a larger building had become apparent and in 1954, on recommendation of Bishop Paul Garber, a committee with Mr. P. K. Banks as chairman was appointed to secure a new site. The present location was bought and the building program launched. Mr. R. W. Moore was chairman of the Building Committee. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on January 11, 1959. By December of that year, the building was completed and the formal opening held on January 5, 1960 with Bishop Barber participating.
In 1962, plans were approved for a new parsonage to be built on a lot donated by Mrs. Helen Bryan.